Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Napolitano Rips GOP Immigrant Trespassing Bill

The former governor of Arizona took a shot Thursday at ongoing efforts by Republican legislators to enact state laws to make being in this country illegally a violation of state trespassing laws.

House OKs illegal immigration measure

“I thought I was right when I vetoed it the first time, I thought I was right the second time, I thought I was right the third time,’’ Janet Napolitano told her audience at Arizona State University.

Napolitano, who quit as governor more than a year ago to become homeland security secretary in the Obama administration, said the problem with the bill goes beyond strictly the “trespass’’ provision. In the past -- as in the current version awaiting House action -- it also includes language which would require police to check the immigration status of everyone with whom they come into official contact...